Monday, September 25, 2017

When You Get That One Chance: Feel It



It isn't everyday you get to be there when it's happening.
For some reason or another, I'd met the right people.
My boyfriend was the right person; his friends were the right people, and
I had the right chutzpah.
I was able to be one of the many reviewers for "Angels in America."

After catching the most incredible,
Eye-opening, spleen-rending early editions at the Mark Taper
I returned to Broadway to see the east coast iteration
After it had been rediscovered
Apparently in San Fran

But instead of just reviewing,
I'd asked to interview the cast or director or writer
And they brought me the head of Joe Mantello
And we had breakfast in Chelsea
At a Greek diner

The memory is still good, but lost.
I was so enamoured with what they were producing
That my notes were a complete mess
And my recollection of our conversation wasn't crystal clear

And in the moment, I recall merely being lost in a feeling
Lost in the specialness of knowing I was near something great
Joe was welcoming and friendly.
But my experience was not that of a review in any way.
.
On the walk back, I remember a substantial Brownstone he pointed up at saying,
"That's Tony's place." (Or was it George C. Wolfe?)
Then dragging out our time together,
I ran my mouth off trying to be insightful.

Embarassed that I knew so little
It was good our time was coming to an end. I was no critic
I was what I truly am: a dilettante and fan
I was enamoured and enraptured and I felt every moment of it.

And I write this now,
Wishing against wishes that it was happening right now
All over again. Because happenstance like that.
Doesn't happen often.

Like Alisyn Camerota told me (probably as she was editing my interview with him at work),
"When you meet celebrity, remember as much of it as possible.
Don't let those moments go, remember that you may never meet those folks twice.
You get that one chance. Feel it."


*upon hearing that Angels was moving from Southbank to Broadway
___________________________________________

Be sure to follow me on:


Twitter   *   Facebook  *  Tumblr  *  Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here: