Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Skillet!

A Breakfast Juggernaut 

Crab and Asparagus Omelette
Brunch on a Sunday before work can be difficult to find at a reasonable price. I find more and more the price is what turns me off. Just this past weekend, my friend DanDan said that MASA 14 (a joint near my house) was a steal at $40 per person. I mentioned that “bottomless drinks” at 11 a.m. didn’t get me going on a Sunday morning…it sent me straight back to bed.

But then I found myself in downtown Columbus desperate to walk somewhere after being trapped in my hotel all night in a rainstorm. 

Yeeeesh! The sun finally had come up and a walk was in order, and just south of downtown is a great little gentrified area called German Village. Move over omelet professionals of America, Columbus appears to be the home of the best breakfast omelettes in America:


410 E Whittier Street

Columbus, Ohio 43206

(614) 443-2266


Conveniently located off Downtown Columbus, Skillet is a two mile walk from the Westin past cute boutiques, old standby delis like KATZINGER’S, and THE BOOK LOFT, a great little book fetishist superstore. I was so grateful, because you know, you arrive in the Midwest and begin to worry that the food is going to  just be heavy and painful. But Skillet’s gigantic omelettes weren’t disgustingly eggy or overly “heavy.”
A Close Up on Their Exquisite Omelette Flesh

This farm to table breakfast/brunch/lunch joint (although they are doing dinners on Fri and Sat nights now) creates silky draperies of eggs shaped perfectly into mountains of omelettes.

Mine was a fortress of biscuits and wild boar sausage (!) all locally sources and absolutely terrific. My colleague Anne's was a crab and asparagus number, which should really only be any good in Maryland, the home of blue crab. But she swears that her’s was absolutely outstanding. As I’m not a crabber, I really cannot say.

Interior of Skillet
A Look Into the Kitchen
But as an amateur "omeletteer," I can vouch for the biscuit in wild board sausage gravy omelette. I think it seems like overkill as omelettes going just reading this. However, if you come on an empty stomach, you can’t go wrong. But their menu changes often, so see what’s for breakfast and what your server recommends, you won’t be steered wrong.


Fact of the matter is…I never touched lunch and dinner didn’t come until like 8 p.m., and I was more than fine. Never really had an appetite until dinnertime…

But arrive any later than 11:30 a.m., and you’ll be eating late in the day!



___________________________________________

Be sure to follow A Lunch Box Blog  


Twitter   *   Facebook  *  Tumblr  *  Google+



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here: